Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Alabama - an adventure in itself


Last night I went with my friends Chester and Jeff to a DCI (Drum Corps International) competition in Russellville, Alabama - a.k.a. the middle of nowhere. The purpose of my going was to drive Jeff's car back from the airport since they were headed straight for Japan from Hartsfield-Jackson first thing this morning. Somehow it made sense for me to just go to Alabama with them... still figuring that one out. We drove all night back to Atlanta and I dropped them off early this morning. (Have a great trip, guys!)

The DCI show was entertaining - and I got a great view from the press box. Since Jeff was a judge and Chester was a trial judge, I decided to join in the fun. I gave each group a score just to see what numbers I could come up with - and I wasn't that far off on most of the groups! I was always a little high on the scale, but I'll chalk that up to having an "everyone's a winner" attitude. I guess in the judging arena, I'm the Paula of the group (how tragic that I referenced American Idol in my blog... stupid pop culture... sigh).

In other news, I'm leaving tomorrow and I'm desperately trying to get my suitcase under 30 pounds. Apparently, I didn't read the fine print carefully enough for my connecting flight from Dublin to London (this is what I get for trying to save money!). Now I'm scrambling to make it under the weight requirement (now I know how jockeys and wrestlers feel!) and still have enough clothes to attempt to be fashionable - or at least not garishly stand out as the "American" - amidst the trendy Europeans.

Today: Tuesday, 26 June, 2007
Location: Marietta, GA (with a side trip yesterday to Nowheresville, Alabama)
Days Until Departure: 1! Ack!
Books Left to Read: One less than I did before (check Mansfield Park off the list!)
Adventure Status: Decent: I tried fried pickles at Speedy Pig B-B-Q in Russellville, I rode all night back to Atlanta on Alabama highways, and I managed to drive an X-Terra from the airport to Marietta without incident.
Recent Activities: Shopping with my sister, a "last supper" with the family (yay Old Towne Bistro!), pool time with Sky and Danielle, a random trip to our neighboring state, crazy attempt at packing light
Thought(s) of the Day: "The language of friendship is not words but meanings" - Thoreau
I love my friends. That's why I do pool aerobics and drive to Alabama! =)