Saturday, June 30, 2007

Day #1: Jet Lag is GONE!

I'm here, I love it, and the jet lag is over! My flight out of Atlanta to Newark was cancelled, but luckily I had arrived at the airport early enough to be placed on a flight before my original time of departure (thanks Mom!). Once I made it to Dublin, I had a few hours, but it was very hectic there. The airport there was SO crowded - I think half the island was flying out that day! (see the picture that captured only a portion of the insanity) From Dublin I took a commuter flight to London’s Gatwick airport. My pal Jason Keith, a friend from my days at Clemson, picked me up from the airport and we drove towards Oxford. Once we got to his town home (more on how cool it is later!), I unpacked and finally relaxed. I tried to stay up as late as I could in order to get on the right schedule, but since I had slept only about 3 hours total since the morning I left, I was asleep by 7:30 p.m.

This morning I awoke refreshed and ready for my adventure at 7 a.m. Jason dropped me off at the bus station for a “practice run” of my daily routine that will start Monday. At my request, he gave me no direction or information – he just said, “Have fun!” and left me there. I am proud to say I figured it all out and navigated successfully throughout the day (it really helps that the people here speak my language!). I made my way to Oxford’s city centre, located the correct college of the University (Exeter College), purchased the items on my list, toured the city, spoke with lots of new people, and made it back to the original bus station with no problems at all! I feel quite self-sufficient. =)

Date: 29 June 2007
Location(s): Atlanta, GA; Newark, NJ; Dublin, Ireland; Bicester, England; Oxford, England
Adventure Status: High: navigating a new city, riding a double-decker bus, eating a lunch that consisted of a “traditional Cornish Pasty” from a stall in the market – that’s right: pasty, not pastry =) Imagine draining beef stew in a colander, taking the “chunks” left over, encasing them in a pastry crust, and cooking it until crispy. That’s a Cornish Pasty.
Highlights of the day:
- Walking past the Cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin (the oldest recorded church in Oxford) and hearing beautiful music from within. I went inside and sat for about a half-hour listening to a boys’ choir practice for their special performance this weekend (see picture)
- Having the freedom of time to be able to sit and listen to a boys’ choir for a half-hour!
- Finding the Oxford Botanical Gardens and purchasing a season pass so I can go there whenever I want! It is beautiful and peaceful, and I am looking forward to going there between classes and reading on a bench (see my chosen bench in the picture).

Thought of the day: The British really do say phrases like “Beg your pardon,” “Cheers!”, and “Right, then.” Everything sounds more proper with a British accent, except the names of little locales like “Wendlebury”, “Kidlington”, and “Squitchey Lane.” Those still just make me laugh. =)