Thursday, October 11, 2007

Remembering Aunt Mary


I haven't been on the blog for a few months, but I recently wrote something that made me want to share.

Mary J. Yarbrough died March 19, 2007. She had been married to Ben for over 60 years. My siblings and I call them Aunt Mary and Uncle Ben. Though we are not related through blood, they have been dear friends of our family since we moved to Georgia. This week I wrote a card to Uncle Ben at his request. He is collecting people's memories of Aunt Mary. The following is what I wrote as my tribute to Aunt Mary:

It is from Aunt Mary that I learned the important traits of a Southern lady. First, one must always be presentable in public. Aunt Mary was a sharp dresser. She clothed her petite frame in outfits that were quite becoming. Her clothes were always neatly pressed, carefully matching, and nicely accessorized. Accessories are important, too. My favorite accessory of hers was the light blue hat she placed smartly on her always-coiffed hair. She was a beautiful woman and her adornment added to her charm, but it was her inner light I admired most. Of course, a lady must put her best face forward (and a daily application of olive oil was her secret to that!) but she must also shine with inner grace. Aunt Mary’s beautiful soul shined brightly to all who knew her. Even those who happened to pass by her as she was out somewhere must have noticed the sharply dressed petite woman with the blue hat perched smartly on her head and thought, “Now that is a lady!”

I was blessed to know Aunt Mary and I will be blessed each time I remember her.