Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Steps


Forward, march!

Here are the steps I've taken so far towards becoming a "big girl":
1. Made an offer on the condo! (yikes!)

2. Filled out all the paperwork for a loan by myself

Let's pause for a moment to consider the loan application. Under the section labeled "who will inhabit this dwelling," the loan officer wrote "Single Woman." So now even my LOAN OFFICER is rubbing it in. Good grief. =) I did wonder about that section... why does it matter that I am a single woman? Should it make any difference in the loan? I'm well-educated. I've got a great job. I am a responsible citizen. When I asked my loan officer about it, he chuckled and said lots of women want to know about that label, but he puts "single man" for the single men, too. It's just a label, he said. I told him I thought we should change the label to "Amazing, Independent Woman Who Just Happens to be Single for Now". I think he thinks I'm crazy. =)

3. Accepted the counter-offer (it was VERY reasonable)

When my Realtor called me with the counter-offer, I was at the KMHS football game to cheer on the team (unfortunately, they didn't do so well). My friends Chester and Julie were in town from Athens and they were cheering ME on in the process, as was my co-worker and friend, Sky. Each of them was so encouraging that I got even more excited about the process.















So now I'm well on the way to being a homeowner! It's hard to believe, but it's really happening. (Incroyable, mais vrais!)



To celebrate my steps towards big-girl-dom and to escape the reality for a while, I went to the Clemson University football game yesterday with my best friend Elizabeth. We drove up in the morning and spent the day hanging out at Clemson's Homecoming. It was a beautiful day for a game and we had great seats (thanks, Eric!!) While I was glad that Clemson won the game (70-14, ouch!) and that I got to see the homecoming floats and festivities, I particularly enjoyed spending time with Elizabeth. She encouraged me about the home-buying process - and we even discussed property law! =) (she's in law school) It was a great way to take a few steps backward to look at the situation from a few hours away and recognize that I'm doing a good thing. This is an important move for me, and I'm grateful for all of the people who are supporting me in my endeavors.