Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day 19: Punting on the Thames



It was a scene straight from Mary Poppins today – minus the dancing penguins, though – and no “Blue Hallooo!” either – or the people laughing on the ceiling – or the chimney sweeps dancing on the roofs. But other than that, it was straight from Mary Poppins. =) I went punting on the Thames River! Erin and Heather and I went down to the river edge, bought a chauffeured ride, and enjoyed our “free bottle of wine included with guided tour.” Our punter was Jacob, a boy who just graduated high school and is now on his “gap year” between high school and college. Many Brits take a gap year to travel around the world, earn money for college, or take time off before they go back to the world of academics. I think I need a gap year. =)

The river was filled with other punting boats, but most of the people had decided to forgo the chauffeur and try the punting themselves. I can say with certainty that it is worth the extra money to hire the chauffeur! Jacob was able not only to steer our boat with dexterity, but also avoid the morons on the water, and even help some of them out without jeopardizing our voyage. That skill was worth the extra couple of pounds it cost!

Though it had rained the half-hour before we got on the boat, the sky cleared and the weather was perfect for a trip down the river. I had a delightful time with the girls as we stretched out in the boat and watched the scenery as we passed by the Botanical Gardens, Magdalene College grounds, and Christ Church meadows.

The enjoyable mid-day experience made up for the rest of the day. I missed my bus this morning (it pulled away just as I ran up), I was almost late to the morning session, I didn’t understand the plenary lecture (I felt so obtuse; I did not comprehend the connections he was making with British Literature in the 1930s), and I had to give a presentation in my High Victorian class on Hardy’s Jude the Obscure. When I finally left the High Victorian class (he had scheduled it for later in the afternoon than normal), I missed the 6 p.m. bus back to Bicester and the next bus didn’t get me back in time to catch the local bus to the neighborhood (which only runs until 7 p.m.), so I had to wait for Jason to pick me up after his softball game (thank goodness it wasn’t a really late game!) or I would have had to walk the several miles home in my cute, but not-great-for-walking, shoes. (breathe in) I have been looking for reasons to look forward to coming back to the States, so perhaps these events were supposed to facilitate those sentiments… but even all of the inconvenience of public transportation is just part of the quirks of England – and I still love it =)

Date: 17 July 2007
Location: Oxford
Highlights:
- punting trip down the Thames
- having my professor say “alright, thank you, thank you” at the conclusion of my presentation rather than something like “no, no you stupid American, that’s not right at all”
- talking with Jason tonight – I actually got him to talk a little more than normal. Usually I am running my mouth constantly and he somehow puts up with me. I think he’ll be happy to have his place quiet and back to normal in two weeks =)
Thought of the Day: If you’re not sure of your punting skills, hire a professional. It’s worth the extra money. This thought can probably be applied to many excursion opportunities in foreign countries: rickshaw racing, camel trips, tours through the jungle, etc.