Friday, July 27, 2007

Day 29: Finding the Free in Ireland


I'm sitting in an internet cafe to write this (and the previous entry), so these will be shorter and probably not nearly as clever as I'd like them to be. Sorry! =)

This morning's "Irish" breakfast tasted uncannily like an English breakfast... hmmm.... Maybe the two countries aren't so different after all. =)

Jason had apparently had enough of trying to drive in downtown Dublin yesterday (it was a nightmare) because he suggested taking the bus this morning. We went into the City Centre and immediately went to Trinity College. We spent the extra 2 Euros and got the guided tour. The college was founded by Queen Elizabeth I to try to "civilize" those brutish Irish through education. It seems like that's what I try to do every day I'm teaching, though I won't limit it to the Irish - just teenagers. =) Anyhoo, the point of going to Trinity College was to see the Book of Kells. It was fascinating to see the literary and religious history behind those sheets of paper. The detail in the illustrations is exquisite. I see why I received so many recommendations to see it! Unfortunately, the guards frown upon attempting to take photographic evidence that the Book of Kells actually exists... so you'll just have to take my word for it - or visit yourself!

We took lunch on the walkway by the Liffey River (which is NOT the source of water for brewing Guinness, the tour yesterday was quick to point out; it's a good thing, too - that water is gross!). There were many despondent Irishmen lying on the benches near the river. It was sad to see so many people struggling. I think Swift's writing on the state of the poor in Ireland probably still applies today!

Speaking of Swift, he was the focus of much of the exhibits at St. Patrick's church (more than Patrick himself, actually). Each of the cathedrals and churches in England and Ireland seems to have adopted a resident author, and Jonathan Swift is St. Patrick's! The cathedral is very pretty inside, but slightly different architecture than the others I've seen. Not sure what the difference is though. Perhaps a different style of Gothic? (care to inform us, Norrie? ...Dad? ...Beuller?) Unlike Westminster Abbey, I was allowed to take pictures, so I think I overdid it. I am trying to include only a few (plus it takes a while for them to upload and I don't want to exceed my time limit here!)

The rain followed me here from England, so I spent much of the day trying to avoid it. Since Jason didn't bring his umbrella or rain jacket, we were trying to squeeze under my yellow umbrella (ella ella a a a) and though it is cute, it is NOT built for two! So we ducked in a few places we may not have normally tried (that, and we were trying to find free stuff to take up time!). We went into Chester Beatty Library (not a clue who Chester Beatty is, though) and saw an exhibit on Leonardo DaVinci's Codex of Leicester. Bill Gates purchased it several years back (shows you how much it is worth!) and had it restored. It's on display now at this location for a month or so. It is all about DaVinci's theories on water, the moon, etc. He was such a genius, but after reading more about him, I think he was also severely ADD! He rarely completed commissioned works, he seemed to jump around from idea to idea, and he had to write backwards in his journals to keep his mind occupied! =)

One of my favourite free exhibits was at the National Library and it featured WB Yeats. My favourite Yeats poem was on display: He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven - originally written on the back of a postcard! I wish my literary genius would come out when I send items through the post! Here's the picture of the postcard (hard to see through the glass, but at least I was allowed to take pictures!)

After a tea break, we returned to St. Patrick's for the Evensong service (also a free event - see a theme here?). It was a beautiful service and the music was provided by a choir from... Atlanta. What are the chances? I didn't recognise anyone, but I still thought it was a small world experience. =) This picture is a stone they think is from St. Patrick's era that combines the Christian cross with the Celtic circle (creating the symbol that we Presbyterians use as a cross!). This was found near the well where good ol' St. Patty would baptise people here in Ireland.

Dinner was at another funky indie restaurant (the only kinds of restaurants around here that have meals under 10 Euros). Even so, my sandwich and coke cost about $15... I am really looking forward to having a "cheap" meal be CHEAP again! (and did I mention free refills?!) ;+)

So that's it for now! Tomorrow we're off to Cork and then the Ring of Kerry and then the Dingle peninsula... not sure when I'll be able to post again, but I'll try!

Date: 27 July 2007
Location: Dublin
Highlights:
- Book of Kells
- St. Patrick's Cathedral
- Yeats exhibit
Thought of the Day: Cheap is good... when cheap is actually cheap. =)