Sunday, July 22, 2007

Day 22: The Perfect Ending (Friday)







The perfect end – in so many ways. When I woke up Friday morning, it was pouring rain – and it did not stop all day. It was a perfect ending because it is the only day it has rained all day long! All the other rains have passed eventually, but this was ridiculous. We all joked that Oxford was crying to see us go. =)

Though it was POURING rain, I wasn’t about to let that stop me from enjoying the last official day of my programme! I went all over town! Heather and I went to the post office and got drenched. My jeans were wet for the rest of the day because I kept going out in the weather and getting soaked. My cute yellow umbrella does nothing to protect my feet or legs!

Lecture was on current topics in contemporary novels. The lecturer was my brilliant professor, Dr. Cunningham. The gist of the lecture was that the current topics are mostly dark, depressing, sordid, gruesome, and sometimes downright disgusting. He focused on the human body and read some disturbing passages from novels dealing with dismemberment, autopsies, murder, etc. At the end of the lecture, someone asked if there were any glimmers of positive topics that novelists write about or would write about in the future and my professor paused for a moment and wryly said, “…Well…No.” We all laughed and he commented that novelists have rarely found happiness to be an engaging topic for a novel. When I examine much of classic literature – and most contemporary literature as well – it is clear he made a good point. His sense of humour came through even though the lecture itself was fairly dark. I think he likes the challenging topics, though – I think he appreciates anything that might give him a challenge!

Another side trip during which we got even wetter was to University College, which houses the Shelley monument. Heather was worried about getting in because a gruff guard had turned her away a few days before. When she whispered that the porter was the same one from before, I decided to give it a try anyway. Somehow I was able to charm him into letting us in the gate. Apparently I have a way with gruff British porters: not only did he admit us to the campus, he even pointed us in the direction of the monument. Shelley’s monument is very striking. It is white marble on a dark base in the center of a semi-circled room. The walls are bare except for the tribute spelled across the top, and the dome ceiling is painted with a vivid blue sky and constellations. Other than the statue itself, the area looks very little like the scene from The Saint – there is a gate around the monument to prevent getting anywhere near it, and there are no benches for handsome men to recline on while sketching. =) But it is a moving tribute to a genius poet who died too early.

Not to be outdone by the weather, I climbed the tower at St. Mary the Virgin cathedral to get the “best view in the town.” It was a great view! Though the skies were still very cloudy and the wind was moving ferociously and the rain was constantly drizzling, I enjoyed my view from the top.

Since we did not have class, we all tried to cram in as much as possible in the hours between meals and packing (I didn’t have to pack, but Erin and Heather did). Erin and I went to the Natural History Museum to see the awesome interior architecture we had heard about in our “History of Oxford lecture.” Then Heather joined us to check out the inside of the Divinity School and we took one last visit to the Bodleian Library.

Finally, it was time for our closing dinner. Everyone dressed up and we had drinks in the Rector’s Lodge before retiring to the hall. The professors marched in wearing their robes and we clapped as they made their way to high table (the special reserved table at the front of the room). We had a delicious meal (fillet of lamb) and then there were speeches and presentations of certificates. I am an official graduate of the Summer Programme in English Literature at Oxford University!

Though I’ve been sad (verging on depressed) all week, this really was a perfect ending because I am not dwelling on the end anymore. I have loved my experiences and I know I will treasure these memories. I have met so many people who have made this programme enjoyable, and I’ve made two really good friends; more than just acquaintances, Heather and Erin are people I know I’ll stay in touch with. And I’ve been blessed to be under the tutelage of brilliant professors who are passionate about their specialties. As she handed me my certificate, my Austen professor (who is also the director of the summer programme) said she was delighted to have had me in the programme, and was very serious about hoping she saw me again in the future. She reminded me to keep in touch as well. This evening brought into perspective what I’ve been able to do over the past three weeks, and what I’ll be able to do in the future. I’m leaving the programme with a sense of satisfaction rather than sadness.


Day: 21 July. 2007
Location: Oxford
Highlights:
- fun in the rain (the constant, did-not-stop, flooded-parts-of-London rain!)
- the closing dinner and wonderful conversation across the long tables
- feeling accomplished, rather than deprived, at the close of the programme
Thought of the Day:
I am blessed to have had this experience.