Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Day 5: Paradise Found

I think I have discovered another glimpse of what heaven will be. It’s called the Oxford University Library System. =) I get admittance to the libraries through my programme (visitors cannot just enter). I was absolutely astounded at my visit to the Bodleian Library. It was founded in 1602 by Thomas Bodley (check out his handsome mug in this picture), and since then the library has collected every work published in English (it is a law that it must hold every written work in the English language!). Some of the manuscripts housed there are priceless – and there are over 7 million volumes of work in this library alone! There are over 12 million volumes in the OULS. The wealth of wisdom those volumes represent is staggering. The rooms of the Bodleian smell a little musty and full of knowledge. If I could have taken pictures, I would have captured one of a massive room that houses the very old volumes of classic literature – some of the first published copies of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates (not the original works, of course, but the oldest hardbound books). The room has deep built-in wooden shelves (multiple levels), dark paneling, vaulted ceilings painted with crests, and row after row of seemingly ancient books!



Most of the books in the Bodleian are kept in the stacks well below ground (with 7 million volumes, one must find space somewhere!). They have a conveyor system when someone requests a book. I picture something like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with little Oompaloompas scurrying around the stacks to locate the requested volume and if you disturb the process, you’ll be turned into a giant blueberry for your interruption. I was told that the workers are sometimes referred to as “penguins” because the Bodleian is like an iceberg – you can see only a fraction of what is really there. The Bodleian has a posted statement (one I had to sign my name to in order to be admitted): “I hereby undertake not to remove from the Library, or to mark, deface, or injure in any way, any volume, document, or other object belonging to it or in its custody; not to bring into the Library or kindle therein any fire or flame, and not to smoke in the Library; and I promise to obey all rules of the Library.” They are serious, too! One cannot borrow books from the Bodleian – one must read them there. One cannot even bring in ink pens into some rooms! And do not be the one caught with food or drink… I think the punishment for that is worse than being turned into a giant blueberry!

My plenary lecture today was from the current expert on the Oxford English Dictionary, Dr. Mugglestone. Yep, that’s her real name! (I really AM in the Harry Potter world). She spoke about the OED’s third edition. It may be hard for some of you to believe, but listening to that woman talk about the dictionary for an hour and a half was one of the most fascinating things I’ve ever heard!! My afternoon course was on High Victorian Fiction. I had to walk to Corpus Christi College since the professor prefers to teach out of his own office rather than use a spare room at Exeter. His office is my dream room for a house – high ceilings, floor-to-ceiling built-in bookshelves, huge windows, and a fireplace. His books are arranged alphabetically by author and fill the shelves. He is a stereotypical bumbling, stammering Englishman who uses phrases like “as it were” and is an absolute genius. He lectured for the full two hours and I could have stayed and listened twice that long! His depth of knowledge was intriguing and I am looking forward to future sessions!

Date: 3 July 2007
Location: Oxford
Highlights:
-Library discoveries!
-Meeting Professor Cunningham (PhD), my High Victorian professor
-A walk through an old graveyard on my way to another library (I had to actually walk into the churchyard to see it – it wasn’t part of the path as I made it sound just then)
- Fireworks tonight (more on that tomorrow!)
Thought of the Day: I would be content to spend all my money on books if I could have a personal library like Dr. Cunningham! Didn’t Epicurus say that if he had any money, he’d buy books –and if any were left over, he’d buy food? =)