Thursday, July 5, 2007

Day 7: Eat, Drink, and Socialize


Where does one get his inspiration for writing? Today I sat in the corner of The Eagle and Child pub where J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis and their gang sat, wrote, talked, and sought inspiration. I must say I was quite inspired by the event, but I don’t believe this narrative work will have quite the impact of The Lord of the Rings trilogy or Lewis’s religious treatises. My classmates Anna (from Germany) and Erica (from Seattle) and I took our books there for a study session after class. I purchased my drink with the five pound note David, Chester, and Jeff gave me from their random encounter with an Englishman in a bar in NYC. Thanks gents!


Today was a full day. It’s the first day I’ve spent over 12 hours at Exeter before going back to Bicester. I got to see what it is like for the people who are living “in college” for this programme. The morning lecture today was on the contrast between public and private life in Elizabethan and Jacobean poetry. Though the professor seemed a little dry at first, his presentation was very informative and I was delighted to learn more about the poets Spenser, Johnson and Donne. I was particularly amused by my professor’s assertion that Donne tried to persuade women that promiscuity could never result in pregnancy… oh the joys of sex ed in the Elizabethan era. =)


I then had tea with Anna while we read for our classes; we had great conversation and also got some reading done. My professor’s explication of Great Expectations in my High Victorian Fiction class left little to be desired – I was amazed at how much he was able to fit into two hours! I met up with the girls after the afternoon session for our little jaunt over to the Eagle & Child. We studied there as well, and also enjoyed talking in our little corner. After listening to the table full of loud, obnoxious American college kids next to us, Erica and I decided we would speak in British accents for the remainder of our time at the pub as to not be confused with the louts next to us. (Anna already has an accent, so she didn't need to pretend). I quite enjoyed it, really. Those dodgey kids are not good for the American reputation over here (imagine my voice saying those two sentences with a British accent… I’m getting pretty good!)


Dinner at Exeter was complemented with fascinating discussions with Max, the resident advisory person who is aiding the programme, about the contrasts between British and American school systems. I stayed late tonight for an evening lecture on the history behind Richard II by Shakespeare. Before catching the late-night bus home to Bicester, I walked to a little bar (see picture) with four girls and we discussed the lecture and random topics like Norse myths involving mead. It’s fascinating how people relate over food and drink. I realized that my day was filled with social connections over meals or beverages. The social meal is an art form in some cultures… I can appreciate why!


Tomorrow I’ll meet up with Lane and Rex (fellow teachers from KMHS) who are passing through Oxford on their whirlwind tour of Europe. Then Jason and I leave for a tour of the Lake District, so I won’t be able to post again until Sunday. I’ll have a lot to write about because it is supposed to be the most beautiful part of England – and that’s where Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter lived! =)


Date: 5 July 2007
Location: Oxford
Highlights:
- getting lost on my way back from my class at Corpus Christi (silly winding roads!) and finding my way back to Exeter without too much issue
- the tour of eating establishments
- remembering what it feels like to be an English major (reading, reading, reading!)
Word of the Day: “Dodgey” – to be used in the place of “sketchy”. Referring to people or locations that are suspicious or less than desirable or with an unclear reputation. =) It’s so much fun!
Cultural Lesson: Everything is backwards (except what isn’t)
You know that people in England drive from the opposite seat of the car and on the opposite side of the road, so one might assume that the sidewalks would have the same general rules. That, my friends, is a fallacy. I can NOT figure out the sidewalks here! Each time I think I’ve got it down, a steady stream of people refute my belief and I almost get tossed into the street. I think they like switching it up to see if folks are paying attention. Another theory is that the folks I’m running into are American tourists who haven’t figured out the system either. =) Another fun “backwardsism” is the water faucets. In most of the sinks (including the ones in Jason’s house), the cold water is on the left and the hot water is on the right. That one is only problematic when I am really tired.